Thursday, January 27, 2011

My little chomper, a lollipop and Daniel's job

Ti found his thumb!

This is what he did most of his waking hours today.
So I don't know when babies typically show signs of teething, like excessive drooling, chewing on everything, etc.  I don't think it was this early for Ari but this little guy seems to be totally onto it already at two and a half months.  He has found his hands earlier but lately he really has shown complete obsession with his hands and fingers.  Those handy, easily accessible appendages!  Oh, he just LOVES to bring them to his mouth and suck away!  He was unusually fussy this evening before he fell asleep.  I offered to nurse him but he refused, quite furiously I might add.  Finally, I offered him my finger wrapped with a piece of thin cotton cloth.  He was absolutely satisfied by that.  It was so funny to watch him chewing on my finger because he kept chomping like he was trying to break it into pieces or something!  He would scrunch his whole body and chomp down on it like he was mad. :)  After chomping down on my finger for awhile, he fell fast asleep.  My sweet little boy...

Ari and I were reading a book about a lollipop sea and gum drop trees with tempting illustrations.  When she saw the page of the sea of lollipops, her countenance changed and she looked at the lollipops very intently for a few seconds as I was reading.  She kept wanting to go back to that page as I kept reading on.  Then finally, she said, "I want one.  I want one, Mommy...?"  What is it with kids and candy?  I just really don't get it.  I grew up on candy too and I have had quite the visits to the dentists.  I really want my kids to have healthy teeth and not be too overly tempted by sweets... I am nuts, I know.  Anyway, since I brush her teeth after lunch and dinner (no matter how much I have to fight her to do this thoroughly!), I decided to give her one.  I bought a small bag of "organic fruit juice suckers" from Trader Joe's before we left Wheaton.  That was last summer and I have not run out of them, ha!  Candy is something of which I don't mind depriving my kids... maybe that's why she just LOVES it.  Her face lights up and the world is right when she has one of these.
oh, so good!

the happiest girl

She was the happiest girl in the world and ran around the house sucking her lollipop.  When she was done with it, she ran to the kitchen and threw away the stick.  Then she came to me and said, "I want more!  I want a green one, Mommy!"  ...Not for a while, dear!  and I order her to go drink her water (so her teeth can be rinsed!).  :P

So rare for us to be in photos together lately, we decided we needed one--the tired parents
So we've been weighing our options for Daniel's job for the next few months we're here.  His contract with the current agency is ending next month.  Looks like he will be working exclusively with one of the schools where he's been teaching and drop all the others to where the agency has been sending him.  Thankfully, all the traveling and commuting will be over and he won't have to leave for work till after lunch.  I'll probably have to put both kids to bed without his help but I don't mind that as much since he'll be home in the mornings.  I am thankful for the slight change in his schedule.

It has been quite the life for us here in Seoul for the past half a year. (I will have to write a whole other long post sometime).  Sometimes I wonder what life would've been like if the pastorate position never fell through or that international school teaching position never fell through... would we have enjoyed living in Korea more?  I guess I will never know.  Daniel and I sometimes talk about the lessons God has been teaching us through this challenging time.  (I will have to write about this separately as well.)  I know that we are not here as a mistake and that God is doing things in and even through us that we can't even begin to imagine right now.  That's why we must keep pressing on, by faith, and be faithful in our daily lives here and now.

No comments:

Post a Comment