Thursday, January 20, 2011

Thirty

My facebook profile read, "Today is your birthday."  Thanks, fb!  I almost forgot! :)

Thirty.  It still sounds like someone else's number but it definitely feels different from my birthdays in the 20's.

I actually like getting older.  When I was a little girl, I used to play house with my siblings and relatives and always assumed the role of the oldest character as far as I remember.  I liked feeling like I was mature and grown up and did not need grown ups telling me what to do.  Well, I now know grown ups aren't always mature and often do not have it all togetherStill, I like getting old for some reason.

My step mom made Meeyeokguk (that imfamous seaweed soup we had too much of the first month after Ti's birth!  It's a birthday soup too.) and a couple of other special side dishes for my birthday.  My dad, step mom, and my grandparents came to visit us early in the morning around 7 to feed us this birthday breakfast...and of course mostly to see my two adorable little darlings.  They live about an hour drive away.  (That's far in Korea.)
Ti with my grandparents this morning
It was quite a whirlwind visit (as always).  After breakfast, they were ready to go back... and they wanted to take Ari with them for an indefinite period of time.  Ari actually wanted to go with them so Daniel and I let her go. (This is an especially hard decision for me.)  It was too quiet after they left and Daniel left for work.  After putting Ti down for his nap, I sat on the couch wondering how my girl's doing... all day, I kept praying for protection and that she would be enjoying her time there.  I called around her lunch time to let them know she probably needs to eat and go down for a nap... my grandma said she was doing fine, terrorizing my parents' room and having fun and does not miss me at all.  Of course she did not take a nap and by the time she was on her way back home in my dad's car, she was a wreck, smelling like cosmetics (from putting on my step mom's makeup), with a leaking diaper and no dinner!  I gave her a cup of smoothie I had made just before she got home expecting this would be the case.  Daniel cuddled with her and got her ready for bed while I put Ti down.  She wanted to read her usual bedtime favorite, The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter, so we did.  I tried to ask her what she did and if she had fun.  She didn't say much to my questions but while I was praying and saying thanks to God for different things of the day, she added, "and they gave me candy..."  so we thanked God for the candy too. :)


I took some more pictures of Ti during the day.






And some more... I can't help it...





 In the evening, I opened presents from Daniel's family that mother sent a few weeks ago.  I've been waiting so patiently to open these. :)  Grandma Glema and grandpa George got me a very nice skirt, a totally-me shirt from mom and Audie, and a special necklace from mom... such special gifts from far away.
me wearing the heart shaped glass locket necklace from momther
Daniel's at tutoring this evening.  I'm going to order some food...not great many options but it's my birthday and I feel like ordering in.  :)


I'm one happy thirty year old woman, mother, and a wife today!















6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture of you in your necklace! Make that your new profile pic! Happy Birthday, friend. Welcome to the 30's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tamara! I actually thought of you today because I remembered celebrating your entrance to the 30's in West Chicago! You make 30's look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter was one of my favorites, too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When she reads it herself, she always says, "The Berenstain Bears Get Away From The Sitter" hehe I don't know what made her think that! :) She's so funny.

    ReplyDelete